Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 200g pumpkin (red kuri/butternut/buttercup squash)
- 200 g arborio rice
- ½ onion (small/med) chopped
- 2 clove garlic
- extra virgin olive oil q.b.
- 12g butter, approx
- vegetable broth (5 cups approx.)
- 25g freshly grated parmesan, approx
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch pepper
How to make it:
- Peel and de-seed the pumpkin/squash. Cut into dice of 1 cm per side
- Warm the oil in a medium pan where you will cook the risotto and then add the onion peeled and diced and the garlic.
- Cook for around 5 minutes until the onion softens, and then add the pumpkin/squash.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the pumpkin is tender (time depends on the kind of squash/pumpkin and size of dices). In case add some broth.
- Add the rice and cook for a minute or two: pay attention that it doesn’t stick
- Reduce the heat to moderate, keep adding a little more of the hot stock, 1 cup at a time, as the previous amount is absorbed, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon and cook for about 15 minutes, depending on the kind of rice.
- Once the rice is cooked and the stock has been absorbed, taste it. Rice must be creamy. If needed add some salt, stir through the shredded parmesan, nutmeg and pepper.
- Serve your risotto straight away. If you have guests, for instance, prepare it at the last minute.
Last but not least
Five minutes before the rice is cooked, mash the pumpkin/squash with the wooden spoon so that it’s a rough puree.
Stir very often (don’t walk away!)
Leave a Reply